About the Role
Directorate: Initially, Finance and Performance, however may be required to work in any Directorate across the Council
Location: Initially based at Town Hall, Bangor, however, may be required to work at any location throughout the Borough
Reports to: Head of Strategic Transformation and Performance
Responsible for: Procurement Assistants
Salary Scale: P06 SCP 40 - 43
SERVICE UNIT RESPONSIBILITIES
1. In conjunction with the Head of Service, to develop and implement a service unit business plan, and relevant policies and procedures in support of the Corporate Plan.
2. To maximise performance across the team including effective implementation of performance management processes.
3. To manage and review team members’ performance with the aim of development of skills and knowledge.
4. To ensure the effective management of financial, human and physical resources and associated budgets in the delivery of the service.
5. Comply with, and ensure that other staff comply with, Council’s policies and procedures including those relating to health, safety, wellbeing and safeguarding.
6. Promote equality and diversity across all service areas through clear leadership, effective policy implementation and demonstrating appropriate behaviours in line with Council values.
7. To work closely with the Head of Service to ensure the conduct of regular inspections across the service unit’s facilities. To implement an agreed planned maintenance programme to ensure that facilities are of an excellent standard.
8. Through the Head of Service, to liaise with the Head of Legal Services to avail of legal services contracts in place for use.
9. To work towards the achievement and/or retention of quality standards and/or standards of excellence and strive for continuous improvement.
10. To meet set governance obligations, including legal, audit, procurement and financial regulations.
11. To implement the agreed communication methodology your service unit.
12. To ensure service unit specific performance indicators are effectively developed, measured, monitored and reviewed to ensure continuous improvement.
13. To produce relevant management information as required by the Head of Service.
14. To be available out of hours as necessary as part of the emergency planning response team.
15. To ensure compliance with Council’s contracting, tendering and quotation systems/ procedures and ensure effective contract management within service unit.
16. To review and update the service unit risk register.
17. To assist the Head of Service to prepare annual estimates of capital /revenue expenditure and income within the service unit.
18. To undertake investigations as investigating officer, when requested by Employee Relations.
19. To carry out all specified, and any other relevant, duties to the highest of professional standards, protecting the reputation and ensuring the integrity of the Council at all times.
SERVICE AREA RESPONSIBILITIES
The services falling within the remit of this post will vary from time to time with the following reflecting the current situation.
· Procurement and Purchasing
o Acting as a business partner to enable and deliver efficiency across all services and activities through procurement and purchasing
o Responsible for:
§ Procurement strategy development, implementation and continuous improvement
§ Procurement process development, implementation and continuous improvement
§ Monitoring of corporate expenditure to identify opportunities for efficiency
§ Staff and industry training and raising awareness of effective procurement corporately and externally
§ Operational support and guidance including for the preparation of tenders and evaluation of same and responding to procurement challenges where required, adhering to EU and UK Directives, legislation requirements and good practice
§ Collaborative working with colleagues across local government and beyond, developing and maintaining internal and external networks of procurement and purchasing champions
· Degree or equivalent in a relevant subject area.
· Or 3 years’ relevant experience as outlined below.
· 2 years’ relevant management experience within the service unit areas listed for this post
KEY SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Ability to manage a team effectively.
· Ability to prioritise and manage conflicting work demands.
· Financial management.
· Project management/business improvement processes.
· Competent in the use of Microsoft applications.
· Managing Your Own Work/work of the team
· Communicating with Impact
· Problem Solving and Decision Making
· Achieving Results
· Continuously improving service
About the Company
Please note the Job Reference when applying